Thursday 28 May 2015

It's nothing personal


So it's been a while since I've posted, and I should explain why. 

First, let me share with you something of a personal revelation, one that you, like me will have heard many times, but it turns out to be true... When it comes to food, yes kids are fussy and often dismissive but the most important thing to realise is it's not personal. You want the best for them, you hear all sorts of things in the press about obesity and poor diet, all you want to do is fill them full of goodness, and everything you put down in front of them is met with a look of contempt. It's exasperating!! 

It's not personal, it's because children are hard wired not to eat things that are unfamiliar, afterall it could be poisonous. This is an instinct that harks back to cave dwelling days.

Mealtimes can often be a time of strife as it's one of the only real opportunities for a toddler to assert themselves. It's control, and if you're not careful, it can easily turn into a battle. Once tempers flare, it becomes even harder, the adrenalin that is now pumping through your child's body because they are upset that you're angry will suppress their appetite further. Keep calm!

Over the last year or so I felt that with Finn refusing just about everything that went down in front of him, I'd be a fraud to continue posting. What I realise however is that every time I get him to eat something good, no matter how trivial I might think it, it's a good thing. He's healthy, full of energy (which is interesting at times), happy and if your kids are too, you're doing a great job! We all have the same good intentions, and if my little tricks are still of interest, then I'll keep going.

I think that this blog needs to reflect the efforts we all put in for the little wins.. My kids don't live on cabbage and lentils, they eat chocolate and love ice cream and I make no apologies for this. They could eat a little less pasta, and more fish, but they are five and two, this will come. They eat lots of fruit, some vegetables, lots of carbs, dairy, meat and all that combined provides them with what they need to grow up healthy. I cook almost everything because I enjoy it. I use as much fresh ingredients as I can and if I get the kids involved all the better (although I am a control freak and sometimes find it hard). 

To finish, I'll leave you with a little tip.. Try to introduce new things with a firm favourite, if they don't try it, it's because it's scary. Oh and if in doubt... Blend! It's a really good way of getting things into them and they won't know. Veg in bolognese will no longer be discarded to the side of the plate. Anything with chunks becomes easier to eat, just be careful you don't end up with a plate of brown gunk. 

Good luck, keep calm and well done, you're doing great! A new recipe to follow soon... 



No comments:

Post a Comment